Looking for switch recommendations ...

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Fri Mar 26 14:19:16 PST 2004

On Friday 26 March 2004 11:08 am, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > What is the difference between Layer2 and Layer3, and what does that
> > affect?
>
> Layer3 == routing (based on IP destination address)
> Layer2 == switching (based on enet dest. address)
>
> Layer3 is probably not important for you.

That depends.  For a test network, a VLAN-capable Layer3 switch can be quite
a nice tool, because you can partition the switch into 2 or 3 separate
virtual networks without buying a bunch of boxes.

I write this not because I think VLAN switches are a general necessity, but
rather because I have an idea of the kinds of activities Marc gets involved
in, and suspect his networking needs are often far beyond ordinary.

I'm going to add a testimonial for the HP switches here.  Given that I'm a
former Xylan/Alcatel employee, this should carry some weight.  The Alcatel
architecture is fairly good, but it carries a lot of baggage from the Xylan
"any to any" switching architecture which tends to drive their cost up a
bit.  The HP ProCurves perform well and are reliable and (relatively)
cheap.

Wes Peters                                              wes at softweyr.com