ifconfig causing fatal trap

Joshua Y. Stabiner Joshua.Y.Stabiner at Dartmouth.EDU
Fri Mar 26 14:07:05 PST 2004

I have a new thinkpad t40 with Intel PRO/1000 that I use as the em device and a cisco wireless that I use as the an device.

typing /sbin/ifconfig causes a kernel panic (using GENERIC) and forces a reboot.  I followed the directions in the manual and did:

nm -n /kernel | grep c039cf             (7e are also in the instruction pointer but returned no results)

This shows the fault is caused by:
cpystrflt
cpystrflt_x
copystr
bcmp
lgdt
lidt
lldt
ltr
ssdtosd

Anyone have any idea what is causing this and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance!

-Josh