Looking for switch recommendations ...

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Fri Mar 26 08:21:28 PST 2004

"Bits dont fail me now!" was what Marc G. Fournier muttered
as he hastily typed this on Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 12:05 :

> I'm looking at replacing my el'cheapo switch with something
> better that will allow me to fix my issues with the
> em/full-duplex problem ...

> I'm looking for ssomething managed, as well as SNMP aware so
> that I can tie it into Zabbix for monitoring ... something 8 or
> 12 port preferred.

> Cisco, of course, is always a big name ... but also expensive ... oen
> recommendation is the xl 1900, but I can't find any specs on her at
> cisco's site, so discontinued product?

Cisco is expensive - and the used market price stays up too.

But the small ISP I work with needed something that did more than
their Cisco 2948 [early model].  They got a Foundry Networks
Netiron 24 port - used - from eBay.  It is is a level 3 switch
and it can be turned into router only or router/switch.

$400.  Not being a name-brand that small business equate like they
do Cisco the used prices are just a fraction of the comparable
Cisco product.

I see similar one for $495 =buy-now= and they have been lower.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com