mpd-3.16 and PPPoE server mode on 5.2.1-RELEASE

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at cell.sick.ru
Thu Mar 11 04:01:20 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 08:11:40PM +0200, Alexander Motin wrote:
A> There is a two problems with support of PPPoE in mpd under 5.x:
A> 1. sometimes loading of netgraph modules on request cause system crash.
A> (You can compile in all required modules.)

Have you run kldxref after installing modules?

A> 2. PPPoE in mpd do not works now on 5.x because of ununderstandible
A> changes in ng_tee shutdown mechanism. (Now ng_tee don't connect left and
A> right hooks on shutdown) So mpd now can't handle incoming PPPoE
A> connections right.

In CURRENT netgraph method xxx_shutdown() is called _after_ all hooks
has been disconnected.

I think this is not very good idea. In some cases node needs to send some
data before shutdown, for example ng_pppoe should close all active sessions
sending PADT message, otherwise we have got hanging sessions on remote side.
Some other protocols implementations may require sending of data before
shutting down.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE