One IP used on more than one interface (gif0 and lo0)

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Tue Mar 9 10:10:58 PST 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Justin Walker wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 9, 2004, at 01:55 AM, Frrodo Baggins wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >    What happens if we configure an alias on lo0:
> >
> >       	ifconfig lo0 alias 192.168.5.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
> >
> > and then use the same IP on gif0:
>
> What happens if you have the same address on two different houses on
> the same street?

that isn't the question..
it's
"why have different numbers on houses on differnt streets?"

It is in fact common practice to number all your P2P links using teh
address of one of your broadcast interfaces..

this works well, saves you an address and you have a simpler routing
table.

Point to point links route using the REMOTE address and don't care about
teh local address so this always works.

julian
(lo0 is a P2P link)