My planned work on networking stack

Andre Oppermann andre at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 8 08:19:10 PST 2004

Mark Tinguely wrote:

> >  > This reminded me - do you know what happened to the plan to implement
> >  > SACK for FreeBSD? I'm working with a research group that's interested
> >
> >  what plan, there never was one :)
> >
> >  cheers
> >  luigi (who wrote some FreeBSD SACK code back in 1996!)
>
> There has been the "enternal" debate, clean up the stack and/or add features
> or the resistance to commit the clean up and/or new features.

I think these days are over and I have committed a couple of larger
changes in the IP code a couple month ago with more to come.

So if you have new stuff, bring it on and we will judge it on its
merits and code quality.

> IMO, in the world that is growing ever more wireless, SACK, ECN, and RFC3042
> *should be* automatically in the TCP stack or we are at a competitive
> disadvantage. These could be added pretty easily.

RFC3042 is already in (done by Jeffrey Hsu) and defaults to enable in
-CURRENT along with Inflight and RFC3390.

--
Andre