My planned work on networking stack

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Mar 2 07:28:37 PST 2004

At 3:59 PM +0100 2004/03/02, Andre Oppermann wrote:

>  Zebra is definatly *not* a piece of s*** as you make it sound here.

	Well, that was certainly the impression I got from Henning Brauer
at FOSDEM.  Maybe I misunderstood him, or maybe he has different
views on this software than you do.  To properly clarify this matter,
you should probably talk to him directly and find out if his opinions
on zebra/quagga really are as different from yours, and if so then
I'll be glad to make a public apology.

	However, until then, I will stand by what I remember of his talk,
and neither you nor anyone else is going to make me change my mind,
certainly not by beating your chest.

>  You need GigE, T1/E1, E3/T3 and STM-1 these days.  Everything else is dead.

	From what I understand from Henning, he's going to be dumping
E-1/T-1, E3-T3, and probably also STM-1, because you can't get those
kinds of interfaces for regular PC-type boxes.  I'm not sure I agree
with him 100%, but I can certainly understand why he'd want to
simplify his life.

>  Ok, again Zebra/Quagga is not "crap".  The same with DJBware which is
>  no "crap" either.  If you don't like it just say so but refrain from
>  dirt-talking it.  It doesn't make your point any stronger.

	Beating your chest louder is not likely to make me believe that
you're right.

	If you want to get off onto a "Church of Dan" rant, I can
certainly do that, and I can point out a whole ark-load of flaws --
most of which are simple basic facts which Dan himself admits to, but
when he says them they're "facts" and when I say them they're "libel"
or "slander".  Yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

>  The bgpd from OpenBSD will surely make it's way into FreeBSD [*].  The
>  main developer besides Henning sits about 5 meters away from me in
>  my office.  If you look at it then you'll find out that I'm not really
>  innocent that bgpd ;-)

	I'm glad to hear that.

>  [*] In FreeBSD it will be a port.  I don't know why a bgpd should be
>  in the base system.

	I don't know.  Why should we have any routing software at all in
the base system?

>  It would be nice if you could calm down, stop your mis-informed
>  accusations and rants and actually try to be helpful and progressive
>  to the projects which try to do it better.  Thank you very much.

	Show me the words from Henning himself where I have
mis-represented his views on zebra/quagga, and I will gladly
apologize in public.

	Until then, I stand by what I have said.