My planned work on networking stack

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Mar 2 05:31:48 PST 2004

At 3:59 PM +0300 2004/03/02, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:

>   Haven't you understand? I'm the "person who has real-world experience
>  in running zebra in ISP environments with multiple upstreams and taking
>  full views".

	Do you have multiple connectivity to two separate metro area
exchanges, with multiple upstreams at each?  Most large cities are
lucky to have a single major metro area exchange, and the author of
bgpd for OpenBSD works at an ISP located in Hamburg which is lucky
enough to have two major NAPs, and he has multiple connectivity to
both.  He was the one ragging on zebra/quagga.  Among other things,
he said he had real problems keeping sessions up with zebra/quagga
when neighbors were flapping.

	IIRC, he's also got some pretty big cisco equipment (75xx or
whatever), and he is going to be switching over to OpenBSD+bgpd as
his secondary core router in the very near future, with plans to
complete the switch over soon thereafter.  He's putting his money
where his mouth is.

	Certainly, I have noticed that zebra hasn't done much recently,
and at least on the surface quagga doesn't seem to have gone that far
beyond where zebra was a couple of years ago.

>  Browse zebra CVS to make sure that author is commiting bugfixes.
>  For example: last commit to BGP code is done 2 weeks ago.

	Right, and that bugfix took how long to apply?  When was the
previous bugfix before that?  When was the last real "new"
development for zebra?

>  I can't say a word about quagga, since I haven't use it, but I have positive
>  experience with zebra (see above).

	If you're a zebra fan, then I suggest you check out quagga.

>  I stop replying... Do not like flame.

	Before flaming anyone further, you might want to check out pages
like <http://www.fosdem.org/2004/index/interviews/interviews_brauer>,
and then take a look and see what Henning Brauer has actually been up
to.

	You might also want to check out
<http://www.commsdesign.com/design_corner/OEG20010323S0048> and ask
yourself if zebra/quagga handles resiliency the way it should.  If
this problem isn't already addressed by bgpd, I'm sure it will be
before Henning can go production with using this for his core routers
at his ISP.