re(4) problems (realtek 8169S)

Johan Bucht bucht at acc.umu.se
Tue Jul 27 17:51:20 PDT 2004

Hi all, I recently bought a Level1 Realtek 8169S, 10/100/1000mbit PCI
card.
However I can't get it to work properly as I frequently get checksum
errors as well as erronous packet lengths. Unsetting the RXCSUM & TXCSUM
options seems to help out but I get timeouts on my connections once
every few minutes.

The card shows up (misidentified) in dmesg as "RealTek 8110S Single-chip
Gigabit Ethernet" but shows up correctly using pciconf -lv.

Setting the speed doesn't seem to make a difference and changing cable
or nic on the other end doesn't affect it either. So my guess is either
bad silicon or driver problem. Anyone with similar problems using 8169S
hardware?
--
/Johan Bucht
bucht at acc.umu.se