FreeBSD and Hotspots

Vince Vielhaber vev at michvhf.com
Fri Jul 9 03:03:46 PDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, staticblackz wrote:

> Hello,
>             I am trying to build a hotspot for freebsd I was wondering how something like this would be made, is there already one out there I can use. I would need it to redirect users to some web page ran off apache that can send their logon info to the radius server also making it so they can't browse the net until they were authenticated with the radius server. My other problem is I am trying to set an orinoco pcmcia card to ap-mode and it won't work it gives me the error..."ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA (mediaopt): Device not configured" I have tried many different ways to make this card work and it won't, I use the command " ifconfig wi0 inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 0xfffffff0 ssid my_net channel 11 media DS/11Mbps mediaopt hostap up". If I switch the device to ath1 for my atheros card ti works fine..I REALLY need help with these 2 problems
>
> please email to staticblackz at hotmail.com or staticblackz at gmail.com thank you

What you're looking for is a captive portal.  There are several out there,
some will run on FreeBSD (maybe most of them will, I dunno).

For some reason I don't think the orinoco card will do hostap with
FreeBSD's drivers.  The orinoco probably isn't the best choice for this
project anyway.  Depending on your hardware, atheros or prism would be
a better bet.  CompUSA or BestBuy (don't recall which) is selling the
200mw SMC or Senao card with the prism chipset for $30-$40 in pcmcia.

Another solution, although not FreeBSD, is StarOS.  It'll do hostap on
the orinoco and has the captive portal and radius stuff built in for $40.

Vince.
--
 Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!  http://www.pop4.net/
   http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com