wireless monitoring of APs???

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Mon Jan 5 20:49:09 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 03:35:40PM +1100, paul van den bergen wrote:
> OK ok, if one could just see what other devices were out there it would be a
> good start I suppose.

I suggest you have a look at the WirelessLeiden and IEEE 802.11 MIBs. Some
weeks ago I reviewed these for applicability to FreeBSD. My findings can
be found here:-

http://people.freebsd.org/~bms/dump/ieee-mib-freebsd-applicability.txt
http://people.freebsd.org/~bms/dump/leiden-mib-freebsd-applicability.txt

I haven't released my trafd/snmp code yet as it's unfinished.

Many of the statistics you mention could be computed within the net80211
framework with some changes, although they sound more suited to the needs
of network performance research within an academic context as opposed to
the needs of Joe User, which has been my focus at this time.

Some further work could be done in the area of presentation. Currently I use
Cricket and rrdtool to produce time series graphs with a 4-minute average.
Real-time monitoring and visualization tools are highly desirable.

BMS