Odd behaviour on em0 device in -stable ... I think ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Mon Jan 5 19:43:26 PST 2004

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> It is the OS that generates a gratuitous ARP every time you assign an IP
> address (or alias) to a card, though i am not sure if it sends one for
> each address assigned to the card, or just one for the newly configured
> address -- the latter would not solve your problem.

Is there a way of doing this manually?  man arp doesn't seem to indicate
any way using that ...

One thing I should note is that it *used* to do this ... the server has
been up for 84 days now, but when first booted, I could add/remove
pre-aliased IPs without this problem ... is there anything that maybe I
should be checking before a reboot that may indicate an underlying
problem?

----