TTCP/RFC1644 problem

Andre Oppermann andre at freebsd.org
Tue Feb 10 02:46:47 PST 2004

Danny Braniss wrote:

> > I have been the last one fuzz around in the TTCP code areas.  However
> > there could be problems that were lurking there before in other code
> > parts (syncache maybe).  TTCP isn't used in production by anyone (AFAIK)
> > and only minimally tested.
> ahh, that's one realy good piece of info so far.
> this is one more step away from 'don't judge a book by it's cover' ...
> reading the specs of ttcp, it seemed promising, but i guess it becomes
> insignificat when the world uses ssl:-)

There are who like it and there are people who hate it.

> > What FreeBSD version are you using?
>
> 4.8, 4.9 and current.

In 4.8 and 4.9 is the legacy code.  When it doesn't work between a
4.x client and server then the TTCP as such is broken.  My changes
(tcp hostcache) are in 5.2 for the first time.  Before it it's the
legacy code as well.  I hope I haven't broken TTCP more than it was
before.

> and solaris(but i guess they don't do ttcp) and linux (not yet).

Linux never will.  They consider TTCP broken by design.  Solaris
I dont know.

The problem is that TTCP will never make it mainstream or even
little side stream.  FreeBSD is the only BSD implementing it.
Removing it would make maintainance of the tcp code a bit easier.
Yet there are a couple of our FreeBSD folks emotionally attached
to it (but they do not actively or even passively maintain it).

--
Andre