Working on howl port

Andrea Campi andrea+freebsd_net at webcom.it
Mon Dec 13 01:06:13 PST 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 03:25:27PM -0800, Peter Heerboth wrote:
> I'm not a zeroconf expert per se, but I would love to see FreeBSD have
> a great zeroconf implementation.  Here are some things to think about.
>

> >If your first implementation happens to leave the interface with a
> >169.254 IP address, it's doing something it shouldn't, however that is
> >likely to be mostly harmless until you or someone has a chance to
> >improve the implementation.
>
> If a device does keep its link local address once it obtains a lease
> from a DHCP server or the user manually enters an address, it is
> important that it stops responding to A record queries with its
> 169.254/16 address.  Depending upon the IP implementations of the other

Sure, I'll make sure this is going to work fine. But I need some
time before I can really work on mDNS ;-)

> Also, how is Freebsd going to handle IPv4 link local addresses on
> multi-homed hosts?  Does FreeBSD have a notion of a "primary" interface
> like Mac OS X?  If FreeBSD assigns v4 link-local address to all its
> interfaces, then the link-local address for each device on each network
> to which my FreeBSD device is attached must be unique across all
> networks, or the routing implications are obvious.

I'd like to live complications such as this for a later stage. I'd say
if you have a multihomed machine you better know how to configure it;
the primary target for my work are laptops and other clients. That is
not to say I don't care; rather, I need to limit how much I chew at a
time. For now I only work on one interface.

Bye,
	Andrea

--
Actually, Microsoft is sort of a mixture between the Borg and the Ferengi.