ip-up script of pppd no triggered

Jim Xochellis dxoch at escape.gr
Sat Nov 15 12:44:37 PST 2003

Hi Maxim,

On Friday, November 14, 2003, at 09:13 PM, Maxim Konovalov wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, 16:02+0200, Jim Xochellis wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have also posted this mail to the freebsd-questions list a few days
>> ago, but I had no luck. Hence, I decided to try this list too, which
>> probably is the most appropriate for my problem.
>>
>> I need to persuade pppd to call its ip-up script in order to add a
>> non-default route as soon as the link is up and running. Unfortunately
>> it seems that my ip-up script is not being called. The mode of the
>> file
>> is rwxr-xr-x and the owner root:wheel. I am calling the pppd from
>> inside a "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ppp.sh" script by using the following
>> command:
>> "/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/cuaa0 115200 A.A.A.A:B.B.B.B noauth persist
>> netmask 255.255.255.252"
>>
>> I have read all the chapter #18 of the handbook, but I haven't found
>> anything about the ip-up script. On the contrary the PPPD(8) man page
>> claims that the /etc/ppp/ip-up is executed when the link is available
>> for sending and receiving IP packets. My link becomes available for
>> sending/receiving IP packets, but ip-up is never executed. Any ideas
>> why?
>> By the way, I am using kernel PPP, (on ppp0) if it makes any
>> difference.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Did you look at /usr/share/examples/pppd/ip-up.sample ?
>
> ip-up worked for me six months ago.

Yes I have looked at ip-up.sample file. Please note that my problem is
not what to put inside the script, but the fact that the script itself
is not being called. On the contrary your are saying that it worked for
you and thats great news! Was it in the /etc/ppp/ip-up path? What were
its file mode? Any other info maybe?

Thanks for the response

Jim Xochellis
Escape Information Services