Telecom Italia, ADSL SMART & FreeBSD

Andrea Venturoli ml.ventu at flashnet.it
Wed Nov 5 13:25:24 PST 2003

** Reply to note from Eric Masson <e-masson at kisoft-services.com> Wed, 05 Nov 2003 17:01:22 +0100

> I have to connect a FreeBSD box to adsl in Italia.

Sigh. I feel sorry for you :) (just because up to now I've had six customers with this ISP).
Anyway I always managed to get through more or less :).

> (I don't speak nor read italian :/)

Don't worry, you would only find Telecom pages completely useless, if not confusing. And don't even thing about
contacting their tech support.

> Telecom Italia ships an ADSL SMART solution (fixed ip adress)
> which is "Classical IP (RFC1483/1577)" compliant.
> Has anyone such a setup working ?

Yes, I've presently two FreeBSD machine working, one using PPPoE with an ethernet modem and two with a IP-level
router.
In case bridging (as suggested by someone else) doesn't work, try PPPoE (I've always seen this type of connection here).

 bye
        av.

P.S. Expect some things not to work: it's beyond your control, it's not your setup, but ISP's fault.