gratuitous ARP with em interface.

akanwar at digitarchy.com akanwar at digitarchy.com
Wed May 28 16:56:40 PDT 2003

Hi all,

Is there a known issue with alias IPs on em interfaces not sending out
gratuitous arps ?

The situation is as follows:
 I am running a custom redundancy daemon that migrates the IP address of a
server from one interface to another in case the active network path fails.
Till now I was experimenting with two fxp interfaces and everything worked
perfectly. i.e. when the ip address moved over (using a perl script to run
ifconfig commands) it sent out grat. arps for each of its alias IPs. This
allowed the router to update its Arp table and talk to the newly active
interface.

Now when I try running the code with em (gigabit Ethernet over copper)
NICs, I simply do not see the gratuitous arps come out of the new interface.

I am at a loss to understand what has changed. Could it be that the line
DOWN -> UP time of the em interface is longer thereby causing a loss of
ARPs ? Any suggestions ?

Thank you.