load balance ordinary traffic

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu May 15 16:50:25 PDT 2003

> This is unlikely to work with cable modems.  You're already competing
> with your immendiate neighbors for a fixed pie of cable bandwidth.

It'll work just fine; the shared cable line supplies far more bandwidth
than what several modems will eat, and this area is not oversubscribed.
Also, I have a mix of modems - some DOCSIS, some older proprietary
Motorola, which use different parts of the broadcast spectrum, and so do
not affect each other's bandwidth, directly.

> However, what you can't do is have
> a single TCP connection on a single local host use both external lines.

How about multiple TCP connections on a single local host using multiple
lines?  I know I could stick particular local machines to a particular
network gateway, but at that point I could just hook them up directly to
individual modems.

> That would require at a minimum cooperation from your ISP which they
> are most unlikely to provide.

I work at my ISP.  What's the cooperation bit?