Howto rename an interface

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Tue May 6 08:42:37 PDT 2003

On Monday 05 May 2003 02:49, Harti Brandt wrote:
> On Sun, 4 May 2003, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> >On Sunday 04 May 2003 11:18, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>
> > All of the system startups need to refer to these ports by function,
> > not by some silly number assigned as a side effect of the PCI bus
> > probing order.
> >
> > This almost begs for some simple alias that can be programmatically
> > (or via a command line utility) added to the interface so the
> > association with the device type isn't lost.  That bears some
> > thought.  An interface label, as it were...
>
> Perhaps an if_alias field in struct ifnet, setable via ifconfig? This
> would just nicely map to the alias name field in the SNMP interface
> MIB.

That's what I was thinking, but that's just the beginning of the project.
The next step is to make references to the alias, i.e. from ifconfig,
ipfw, ipfilter, etc. recognize the alias or label as well as the device
name.  I'll ask the boss if I can do this on St. Bernard's ticket. ;^)

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes at softweyr.com