Howto rename an interface

Vincent Jardin vjardin at wanadoo.fr
Sun May 4 10:37:37 PDT 2003

Le Samedi 3 Mai 2003 16:43, Mike Tancsa a écrit :
> It sounds a bit messy to maintain.  Perhaps it would be easier to just
> write wrapper programs around those that you use if really need be.  e.g. a
> local copy of netstat,ifconfig and route and have those executed first in
> your path.

I thought about it. However many issues remain:
  - SNMP still uses the FreeBSD's interface name
  - the kernel logs
  - ... they are lot of softwares that need their own patch

Whereas all these softwares would work fine if the interface name does not
have a unit number.

Thanks,
  Vincent

PS:
For example, with Linux, the name of an ipip or gre tunnel is free:
# ip tunnel add FooBar mode ipip remote 192.168.0.251 local 192.168.0.15
# ifconfig FooBar
FooBar    Lien encap:IPIP Tunnel  HWaddr
          POINTOPOINT NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
          collisions:0 lg file transmission:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)