SSL

Orville R. Weyrich_Jr orville at weyrich.com
Mon Jun 30 13:28:55 PDT 2003

I checked the Apache Web site and found an article from 1998 that said
that RSA had a patent on encryption needed for SSL in the USA.

Somewhere I recall hearing that the patent had expired. Is this true?

What I really need (want) is an inexpensive way to give my Apache server a
secure channel for users to log in without transmitting cleartext
passwords (the actual data after they log in is NOT sensitive, I just need
to know that it came from a trusted user).

Anybody have current information on how I can comply with US law and meet
my requirement as inexpensively as possible? I gather that I can be my own
certificate authority if the people running the web browsers trust me to
be who I say I am, but there is that pesky RSA license (?).

The application is a political organization, not a commercial venture if
that is of any benefit in obtaining pattent relief.