Lots of input errors...

Mike Hoskins mike at adept.org
Wed Jun 25 17:13:45 PDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Shawn Ramsey wrote:
> I don't know offhand, it connects to another company, as its our internet
> connection. We will contact them and see if they can tell us what the stats
> (if any, I believe its a Cisco). The card is forced to 100BT/FD on our end,
> and im sure it is on the other end, though I will have them double check
> that as well. Performance at autoneg is terrible fwiw...

Ahh, Cisco's signature mark.  ;)  If you know you'll always use 100BT/FD,
it wouldn't hurt to have your ISP set the port to that as well (just to
be safe).

> Like I said earlier, autoneg performance is hiddeous, so I don't think that
> is the issue.

Since I was too dense to notice 0 collisions but high err counts the first
time, I would definately suggest tracing down the related cables.  Make
sure they're not twisted, pulled, ran along side lots of power
supplies/cables, etc.  The netstat output makes it seem like CRC errors,
but it's really hard to tell.  The Cisco should give more granular info,
distinguishing between things like CRC, I/O, framing, overruns, ignored
packet, giants, runts, etc. errors.  If your ISP will mail you the 'sh
int' output for your port, that may be helpful.

> Yes, same type of card, its connected to another ISP, a Cisco but I don't
> know the model #.

Hmm.  Definately try the NIC swap then, couldn't hurt.  What's your `uname
-a`?  This is something recent, right?

> Thats one idea I was planning on doing, just to be sure its not a NIC issue.
> I am also going to try replacing the motherboard with one with a 64-bit bus,
> and isolate the gigabit ethernet on the 64-bit bus. That will also change
> the RAM and CPU just incase there could be a bad piece of hardware other
> than a NIC.

How busy is the gige int?  That's certianly capable of tying up a
32-bit bus...  Good ideas - nice to have so many options.  :)

-mrh

From: "Spam Catcher" <spam-catcher at adept.org>
To: spam-catcher at adept.org
Do NOT send email to the address listed above or
you will be added to a blacklist!