freebsd-net Digest, Vol 13, Issue 6

agent dero dero at bluhayz.org
Sat Jun 21 13:12:55 PDT 2003

I am re-organizing my company's network, albeit a small one, but it is still
very very important.
I run a small webhosting company, and I am rebuilding the LAN with the idea
of expandibility.
the LAN Diagram is here
http://www.bluhayz.org/~dero/overall_lan.png
(I apologize for PNG, but that's how AppleWorks wanted to save it.)

Anyways, I am wondering about overall network performance, given that our net
connection isn't higher than 45Mbps (burstable connection, yay!)

(All machines are running FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE)

The plan is to store all user directories, i.e. web sites, on the NFS disk
server, equipped with a gazillion disk drives, all with RAID0+1, and simply
running NFS (and of course SSH)
Then the FTP server(1), the web servers(2 at current point in time) and then
somewhere in the future, the MySQL servers will all have data stored on the
NFS server. In addition, the overall workload will be spread across the web
servers, using BIND's round-robin capability.
Note: I am planning on upgrading to Gigabit sometime soon.

The question being, how will this network perform, I realize there will be
increased network traffic, but the two things I am worried about, are overall
added latency, and plausibility, i.e. before I buy more hardware, will this
work!
The biggest toss-up is the tradeoff between a couple ms of latency, and
expandibility. According to this current diagram, all we need to do to add a
new server to help releive load is to add a new Web Server, and configure it
in the BIND configuration files, and get it to use the NFS server.

Help is not only needed, but appreciated.

thanks!