Firewall Performance Question.

Tom Daly tom at dyndns.org
Thu Jun 19 14:08:04 PDT 2003

Hi,

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Michael Sierchio wrote:

> Tom Daly wrote:
>
> > I am currently running a Dell Poweredge 350 with FreeBSD 4.7 as a network
> > firewall for one of our sites. This site sees about 3 megabits of traffic.
>
> per some unit of time, I presume? ;-)  maybe 3Mbit/s?

Yes, 3Mbits/s.

> > The average firewall ruleset runs around 600-800 rules, running on IPFW.
>
> That's a huge number of rules -- do you have any idea what number
> of packets are checked against how many rules before being accepted
> or denied?  A histogram would be nice....

Most of these rules are a simple "ipfw deny all from x.x.x.x to any."
Could some sort of source route to a null interface be better?

> > Could this be a direct cause of why my system's interrupt usage is over
> > 50% at many times, as well as sending ICMP source quenchs from time to
> > time?
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a performance tweak to help this box along?
>
> Without seeing the ruleset, I'd venture a guess that IPFW2 would
> help reduce the number of rules, and that a clever refactoring
> (with poss. use of skipto rules) might reduce the load.

The base ruleset is about 160 rules. The box can handle this with minimal
CPU load. The additional 500 rules, similar to the one above are the
problem.

Suggestions?

Tom