Sorry if duplicate...Multicast Routing

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 17 12:48:36 PDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Tom Daly wrote:

> Could you clarify a bit? Are you able to move the multicast traffic
> between each side of the IP-IP tunnel?

Yes.  We use mrouted to configure multicast tunnels in pretty much the
following way (IP addresses tweaked to protect the guilty):

% more mrouted.conf
tunnel  10.33.1.16      192.168.49.50     metric 1        threshold 1
tunnel  10.33.1.16      192.168.10.251    metric 1        threshold 1

In this case, 10.33.1.16 is the local IP, and 192.168.49.50 are remote IPs
of other multicast tunnel endpoints with similar configurations.  The
remote boxes are generally on the other side of wide area networks without
multicast routing in between.  This "just works".