Ethernet interface trunking and 802.3ad

Patrick Bihan-Faou patrick.bihan-faou at netzuno.com
Fri Jul 25 00:04:18 PDT 2003

Hi,

I am trying to setup interface bonding for a new server. So far I have used
netgraph and the ng_one2many node and it sort of work. I have a couple of
small issues with it, but nothing blocking:

- the ng_one2many node does not detect if one of the interface is
disconnected resulting in only half the packets are sent when this occurs (I
have seen patches regarding link state detection, and I'll try them later).

- if the 'main' interface is disconnected (i.e. the interface connected to
the 'one' node), then no traffic flows anymore.

The switch I am using supports 'port trunking' / 802.3ad. I was wondering if
anybody has used such switch with FreeBSD ? If so, how was it setup and what
can I expect from such a thing ? Is there any relation between 802.3ad and
ng_fec and ng_one2many ?

Thanks for any hint.

Patrick.