ng_fec and vlans

Dean Strik dean at stack.nl
Tue Aug 19 16:37:31 PDT 2003

Shaun Jurrens wrote:
> I have two dell 1750's connected to a c3750 switch.  FEC works with ip
> addresses attached to the fec0 interfaces (although, single connections seem
> to remain on one link or the other, I haven't played with the load-balancing
> on the switch yet for the channel group, might be my fault).

Not sure what you mean by single connection. If you mean an application
connection, e.g. a file transfer, then yes, it will always remain on the
same link. With FEC, the physical link used is determined by
  srcip XOR dstip
or
  srcmac XOR dstmac
Since these do not change during a session, the session will always go
over one link.

> My questions are:
>
> 1) Is is even possible to successfully "attach" vlan devices to netgraph
> nodes, specifically the ng_fec node (I can't decipher enough of netgraph to
> begin with to make a guess, just a copy monkey here...), i.e. have interface
> fec the parent device?

This is not possible, unfortunately.

> 2) Is the correct way on the Cisco side to configure interfaces in the FEC
> group as trunks, _or_ group them as access ports, and make the FEC group a
> trunk?  (I haven't read exhaustively on this, seems to be some descrepency
> between CatOS and IOS on this anyway...)

No idea, sorry.

--
Dean C. Strik             Eindhoven University of Technology
dean at stack.nl  |  dean at ipnet6.org  |  http://www.ipnet6.org/