Translate MAC address to IP address

Mitch Collinsworth mitch at ccmr.cornell.edu
Wed Aug 13 05:13:29 PDT 2003

If you ping the broadcast addr you will (should) get a reply from
all hosts.  This will give you a full arp table that can be
grep'd programatically.  The only hitch is that it's possible for
someone to put a firewall or other custom setup on a machine to
prevent it from replying to ping.

Another way would be to decode packets to read the IP from address.
Not sure if tcpdump has that ability or it it would take some
coding.  I've always done it with arp myself.

-Mitch