Trouble with 5.1-RELEASE and Broadcom BCM5704C

Dirk Janssen djanssen at netcologne.de
Mon Aug 11 01:59:57 PDT 2003

Hi,

I have a problem with the Broadcom BCM5704C (Dual Gigabit Ethernet) which
is used by one of our servers (newsfeeder with 5.1-RELEASE and diablo).
The interfaces go down frequently if they have traffic (diablo started)
and I see the following kernel messages:

kernel: bge0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
kernel: bge1: watchdog timeout -- resetting

After this, the interfaces are up again for about 10-15 minutes.

The server is a Fujitsu-Siemens Primergy RX300 with one Xeon 2,4Ghz and
2GB RAM:
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/rl/products/primergy/rx300.html

What I've done so far and what didn't help:

- Compiled a kernel with and without SMP/APIC (also switched
Hyperthreading and APIC on/off in bios)

- tried various mediaopts/mediatypes on the interfaces and/or the switch
(Cisco 2924-XL, no VLAN, IOS 12.05.(2XU)), both are running on auto now
(100 BASE/TX, full-duplex, no crc errors).

- tried different drivers:
http://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/Broadcom/5705/
=> worked, but the problem was still there (even with _very_ low traffic)
http://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/Broadcom/busdma/
=> didn't work, I was unable to compile the kernel.
=> the driver which is shipped with 5.1-R is now used again.

- tried a different mtu (1505) on bge0.

Any help on solving this issue would be nice.

Regards,

Dirk Janssen