connect(2) behavior with unreacheable hosts

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Apr 12 20:21:47 PDT 2003

In message: <20030413030500.GA64896 at pit.databus.com>
            Barney Wolff <barney at pit.databus.com> writes:
: On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 08:49:12PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <109.225ca595.2bc723f2 at aol.com>
: >             BelletJr at aol.com writes:
: > : Why does not connect(2) return any error when trying to connect to a host
: > : unreachable because of an infinite loop in the routes? No time-out occurs and
: > : the value 0 is returned by connect(2).
: >
: > Hmmmmm, you are correct.  I was sure that you were nuts, but on
: > -current the following program returns no error at all...  Telnet
: > shows the same behavior.  This is clearly wrong.
:
: It's not just current; stable behaves exactly the same.  The problem is
: that the icmp time-exceeded packet gets translated into an error code
: of 0, which confuses things.  I've filed a PR with a suggested fix:
: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=50839

Ah.  I see.  I wonder if any of the net folks can review this...

Warner