mpd & nullmodem link

Willie Viljoen will at unfoldings.net
Wed Apr 9 07:16:55 PDT 2003

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 15:51, someone, possibly Eric Masson, typed:
> Hello,
>
> mpd-3.13
> FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE
>
> I've googled for pointers about establishing a nullmodem link beetween 2
> mpd enabled boxes (mpd doc seems to say that it's possible).

Why use mpd for this? pppd(8) will do just fine. Here's a quick example, all
needed is a pppd on both ends, end for the cable to be plugged in:

#/etc/ppp/options on pc1
cuaa0		#FreeBSD: COM1 in DOS
115200
crtscts
lock
local			#Use nullmodem mode instead of modem lines
deflate		#Compression

# IP address for this end : IP address for other end
192.168.254.1:192.168.254.1
netmask 		255.255.255.255

#/etc/ppp/options on pc2
#Same as above, except
192.168.254.2:192.168.254.1

#If the other machine is Linux, cuaa0 is ttyS0.

Now just start pppd on both ends and once it syncs, you will be able to have
the machines talk IP to each other.

To start pppd automatically and have it restarted if it dies, add this to
/etc/ttys:

cuaa0	"/usr/sbin/pppd cuaa0 -detach"		unknown on

This can also be done in Linux, check man inittab.

Hope this helps.
Will

--
Willie Viljoen