Gratuitous port splitting (was: Port Avidemux)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 24 03:27:34 UTC 2020

On Friday, 22 May 2020 at 21:38:44 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 1:55 PM Wiebe Pestman <wrpestman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear maintainer(s),
>> Today I tried to install the port avidemux-2.7.4_1, but unfortunately
>> without success.
>> When running the command "make install" the whole process proceeds
>> without any error message.
>> But at the end there is no binary ...
>> Neither in /usr/local/bin, nor in
>>
>> /usr/ports/multimedia/avidemux/work/stage/usr/local/bin
>>
>> Am I overlooking something in the installation procedure?
>> The kernel on my machine is:
>>
>> FreeBSD zwaluw 12.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE r354233 GENERIC amd64
>>
>> Hope to get an answer from you :-)
>> Best regards from Holland,
>> Wiebe Pestman
>
> avidemux does not install any executable. Oddly, it just installs libraries
> and the like. You must also install avidemux-plugins and  either or both
> avidemux-cli and avidemux-qt5. If you only need the GUI, you can skip
> avidemux-cli.
>
> The command to run the GUI version of avidemux is avidemux3_qt5. The CLI
> interface is avidemux3_cli.

Yes, I've run into this problem too.  Arguably it's broken.  The
official documentation expects it to be a single installation, and I
don't see any reason to split avidemux into five ports (there's also
avidemux-qt4).  What good is the avidemux port on its own?  Or the
combination of avidemux-qt5 without avidemux-plugins?  Just finding
out that you need all this stuff is a pain.  I'd recommend folding
both of these ports, and probably avidemux-cli, into the ports
avidemux-qt4 and avidemux-qt5.

At the very least there should be a warning in avidemux/pkg-descr, but
I don't think that's the right approach.

Thoughts?
Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.