MIDI timing

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat May 18 13:33:20 UTC 2019

On Sat, 18 May 2019 14:44:24 +0200, Goran Mekić wrote:
>Acording to http://www.ccarh.org/courses/253/handout/smf/
>I made a PoC to read the data from that file. As that link says, there
>is the info of divisions per beat. For the example.mid I get that
>divisions are 19200, so I assume if I have 100BPM song, this would
>translate to 192000 divisions per second. Am I interpreting this right?

IIUC the unit is ticks per beat.
Length of a beat at 100 beats per minute are 600 ms and
not 1 s (1000 ms).

(60000ms/100BPM)*4*(1/4)= 600ms

2 beats at 120 beats per minute are 1 s.

(60000ms/120BPM)*4*(2/4)= 1000ms
(60000ms/120BPM)*4*(1/4)= 500ms

From the sequencers that I used in my live I experienced one common
value as 192 ticks per beat. So for 100BPM it would mean 192 ticks in
600 ms.

One beat length is the same as one quarter note length. One bar length
in four-four time are 4 beats = 4 quarter notes.