FFmpeg hardware transcoding

Thomas Zander thomas.e.zander at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 1 10:02:50 UTC 2019

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 21:07, <driesm.michiels at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the minimum requirements for being able to utilize quick sync on my
> intel chip for ffmpeg hardware transcoding?

One point to consider is the desired output quality. I recently ran
some transcoding experiments on a MacBook (2018 Model, i5 CPU) using
ffmpeg and the "hevc_videotoolbox" encoder which uses quick sync on
this platform. The results were consistently unacceptable. x265
software encoding delivers better results for all scenarios I have
tried, even with preset fast.
After the results I have had, I see no further use for quick sync
other than real-time encoding (e.g. streaming).

Riggs