Choppy audio using virtual_oss

Hans Petter Selasky hps at selasky.org
Tue Aug 7 09:42:10 UTC 2018

On 08/07/18 11:22, Goran Mekić wrote:
>> Can you ktrace ardour and see how many bytes it is writing at a time to OSS?
> Ardour doesn't have those settings, as it uses jack for that. Should I
> try ktrace the jackd process? Thanx!

You can try.

Check the CPU usage(s). If some process is running close to 100% it
won't work, you need larger buffers.

I'm a bit worried that the high sample rate combined with libsamplerate
will overturn the system. Did you try to use 44100 or 48000 Hz. Is there
any particular reason you are using 88200 Hz ?

Another thing to check is if your kernel is compiled with debugging /
invariants / witness and such. It will make the character device in
userspace processing slower.

--HPS