video using webcamd on Raspberry Pi 3

Curtis Villamizar curtis at orleans.occnc.com
Wed Apr 11 02:40:00 UTC 2018

HPS,

Resurrecting 6+ month old thread.

The two cameras that I had tried with Raspberry Pi 3 still don't work
with a recent FreeBSD-12 build.  I waited a while since there was work
going on in USB and in ARM support in FreeBSD 12, in hopes this would
just fix itself (it didn't).  These two cameras work fine with an
Orange Pi PC Plus (OPiPC+) and I'll be testing shortly with Orange Pi
One (should work, same H3 SoC).  I'm going with Orange Pi for this
project as I don't want to keep fussing with RPi3.

Earlier testing was with webcamd, cuse, and multimedia/pwcview.
Motion (multimedia/motion) is now being used on OPiPC+.

If you would like you can have root on my RPi3 and I'll plug in one of
the cameras and let you play all you want.  I'm building using crochet
and would be willing to try whatever kernel patches you'd like and
reboot now and then.  You can rebuild anything in ports yourself.
I'll just wipe the SD card when you're done.  I can give this thing a
routeable IPv6 address.  Send me private email if you are willing to do
this.

Would you like me to report a bug on this so it can be tracked?

Curtis

ps - good news is the "motion" application now works where it didn't
last October (lots of code changes in that port) and that port is just
about perfect for what I want to do.

In message <23bc6bc5-d255-4e9b-ab46-aa712cfe6673 at selasky.org>
Hans Petter Selasky writes:

On 09/30/17 22:49, Curtis Villamizar wrote:
> On 09/30/17 14:11, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
>> lsusb -v
>
> The output is 740 lines long.  Here are the bDescriptorSubtype lines:
>
>          bDescriptorSubtype      1 (HEADER)
>          bDescriptorSubtype      3 (OUTPUT_TERMINAL)
>          bDescriptorSubtype      6 (EXTENSION_UNIT)
>          bDescriptorSubtype      2 (INPUT_TERMINAL)
>          bDescriptorSubtype      5 (PROCESSING_UNIT)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  1 (INPUT_HEADER)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  6 (FORMAT_MJPEG)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  7 (FRAME_MJPEG)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  7 (FRAME_MJPEG)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  7 (FRAME_MJPEG)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  7 (FRAME_MJPEG)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  7 (FRAME_MJPEG)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  7 (FRAME_MJPEG)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  7 (FRAME_MJPEG)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  7 (FRAME_MJPEG)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  3 (STILL_IMAGE_FRAME)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  4 (FORMAT_UNCOMPRESSED)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  5 (FRAME_UNCOMPRESSED)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  5 (FRAME_UNCOMPRESSED)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  5 (FRAME_UNCOMPRESSED)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  5 (FRAME_UNCOMPRESSED)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  5 (FRAME_UNCOMPRESSED)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  5 (FRAME_UNCOMPRESSED)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  5 (FRAME_UNCOMPRESSED)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  5 (FRAME_UNCOMPRESSED)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  3 (STILL_IMAGE_FRAME)
>          bDescriptorSubtype                 13 (COLORFORMAT)
>          bDescriptorSubtype      1 (HEADER)
>          bDescriptorSubtype      2 (INPUT_TERMINAL)
>          bDescriptorSubtype      6 (FEATURE_UNIT)
>          bDescriptorSubtype      3 (OUTPUT_TERMINAL)
>          bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
>          bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
>            bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
>
> The format is MJPEG or raw.
>
> For the resolution of 320x240 we have:
>
>        VideoStreaming Interface Descriptor:
>          bLength                            30
>          bDescriptorType                    36
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  7 (FRAME_MJPEG)
>          bFrameIndex                         4
>          bmCapabilities                   0x00
>            Still image unsupported
>          wWidth                            320
>          wHeight                           240
>          dwMinBitRate                 37005360
>          dwMaxBitRate                 37005360
>          dwMaxVideoFrameBufferSize      154189
>          dwDefaultFrameInterval         333333
>          bFrameIntervalType                  1
>          dwFrameInterval( 0)            333333
>
>        VideoStreaming Interface Descriptor:
>          bLength                            30
>          bDescriptorType                    36
>          bDescriptorSubtype                  5 (FRAME_UNCOMPRESSED)
>          bFrameIndex                         4
>          bmCapabilities                   0x00
>            Still image unsupported
>          wWidth                            320
>          wHeight                           240
>          dwMinBitRate                 36864000
> [...]

Hi,

Can you check dmesg if there are any errors?

Can you further check "top" for CPU usage.

--HPS