FreeBSD multimedia

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Oct 27 09:39:22 UTC 2017

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 10:10:12 +0200
From: Ralf Mardorf
To: blubee blubeeme <gurenchan at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: FreeBSD multimedia

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 15:01:58 +0800, blubee blubeeme wrote:
>I guess the question is; can there be something like Jack but for Alsa
>or better yet OSS, since that's whats native on FreeBSD.

Jack is a sound server using a backend such as ALSA or OSS.
Apart from connecting audio streams from one app to another, or to
itself, it also allows to connect several audio streams to the audio
hardware. To connect multiple audio streams to the hardware, at least
ALSA provides the dmix plugin, so for this you not necessarily need
Jack when using Linux, assuming the app doesn't need Jack, because it's
supporting ALSA.

I still don't understand about what issue you are talking. Jack doesn't
resample, you might consider this an issue. Jack is aimed to use
clients in optimised sync and with lowest possible latency, which
actually is an advantage.

Yes, there could be something like Jack, another sound server using the
ALSA or OSS (or any other) backend. You "only" need to write a sound
server and to rewrite all applications to support your new sound server.

I don't like to watch videos, regarding the text it seems to be related
to consumer audio devices. Consider to at least use pro-sumer devices,
if you won't pay for professional hardware. At least Linux works very
good with non expensive class compliant pro-sumer audio devices,
assuming you don't need the audio devices' internal mixers and/or
effects.

I never used kxstudio, but if you like it, I suspect that installing
another desktop environment or replacing KDE by just a window manager
is more promising, than what you have got in mind.