Advice for audio recording

Michael Reifenberger mike at reifenberger.com
Sat Oct 21 10:55:45 UTC 2017

Zitat von Hans Petter Selasky <hps at selasky.org>:

> On 10/20/17 17:37, Michael Reifenberger wrote:
>>
>> (Hmm, why dev.pcm.4.rec.vchanformat: s16le:2.0 , shouldn't it be s24le:2.0?)
>
> Hi,
>
> You should override this into s24le:2.0 - yes. Further you should
> set bitperfect to avoid resampling issues and the software volume
> control. The DSP device will then refuse to open in any other ways
> than what is printed in dmesg, with regards to sampling rate and
> sample size and channels.
>
> In 11- and 12- you can simply put dev.pcm.4.rec.vchanformat=xxx in
> the kernel environment (man kenv) or in /boot/loader.conf (requires
> reboot) and these settings will be programmed automatically for pcm
> #4 every time you plug this device.

Thanks for the hints!

I can now:
either:
% dd if=/dev/dsp4.0 of=/tmp/s24le2.raw count=10000
and read as 24bit LE stereo 96khz RAW into audacity or directly with sox:
% sox -r96k -esigned -b24 -c2 -t raw /dev/dsp4.0 s24le2.flac

BTW:
flac123 doesn't like 24bit flac file, only 16bit flac files get played...

> At home I'm using:
> http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Digital-Mixers/X32-RACK/p/P0AWN
>
> Which I'm very happy with. It works well with FreeBSD and is
> controlled via a wireless pad (iOS or Android at your choice).

Thats for sure a quite big/professional "home" recording machine :-)

Thanks a lot for your help!

Greetings
---
Mike