What is wrong with FreeBSD and USB Support

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 06:05:23 UTC 2017

libusb20_dev_open() opens an USB device so that setting up USB
transfers becomes possible. The number of USB transfers can be zero
which means only control transfers are allowed. This function returns
zero on success else a LIBUSB20_ERROR value is returned. A return
value of LIBUSB20_ERROR_BUSY means that the device is already opened.

libusb20_tr_get_pointer() will return a pointer to the allocated USB
transfer according to the pdev and tr_index arguments. This function
returns NULL in case of failure.

what is the definition of a "tr_index"? The documentation does not
cover that anywhere, someone can only copy it from the sample sources.
Please don't expect that anyone reading the manpage will have an idea
how the FreeBSD API works, because all those items simply do not exist
with other operating systems, neither is the ep_index calculation
needed with other systems.

uint8_t ep_index = (((addr & 0x80) / 0x40) | (addr * 4)) % (16 * 4);
uhe->bsd_xfer[0] = libusb20_tr_get_pointer(dev->bsd_udev, ep_index + 0);
uhe->bsd_xfer[1] = libusb20_tr_get_pointer(dev->bsd_udev, ep_index + 1);

So my guess is that the examples are just using 2 urb transfers and
freebsd just cannot catch up. However it is still unclear how to
correctly initiate more than 2 urb transfers by reading the
documentation.

Markus