FreeBSD amd64 GENERIC kernel

blubee blubeeme gurenchan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 13:49:10 UTC 2017

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 9:33 PM, Alexander Leidinger <
Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:

> Quoting blubee blubeeme <gurenchan at gmail.com> (from Sat, 16 Dec 2017
> 09:39:04 +0800):
>
> On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 8:16 AM, Alexander Leidinger <
>> Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:
>>
>> Quoting blubee blubeeme <gurenchan at gmail.com> (from Fri, 15 Dec 2017
>>> 22:39:25 +0800):
>>>
>>> What's with the stuck up attitude? Stay focused on the issue at hand
>>> which

>>> Can you please describe in features / bullet-points what is missing
>>> instead of saying "X is better than Y"?
>>>
>>> like it's some personal attack on your person to update the underlying

>>> What I understand what you say is:
>>>  - I want to replace X by Y, because Y is better.
>>>  - Anything what is better in X can be added to Y.
>>>
>>> So basically I understand that you want to replace incomplete feature-set
>>> in X by an incomplete feature-set from Y (without knowing what the
>>> incompleteness in either X or Y is).
>>>

>> There's no incomplete "feature" what I am saying is the changes made for
>> compatibility brought forward legacy application bugs.
>> When you update to clang 4 and a lot of your code breaks because they use
>> depreciated coding standards, do you patch clang or
>> do you fix your software?
>>

> I consider this a bad example. The word "legacy" already implies that you
> have a new way of doing things, wheres as comparing clang and gcc is not
> putting a new meaning to the input source code, but transforming the source
> code based upon pre-defined rules. And yes, if there are cases where the
> source code which is compiled is wrong, and not clang.
>
> Regarding the issues you have with "compatibility aspects", I will comment
> upon below.
>

> And to bring in some technical info (parts of "AFAIR", I may
>>> misremember...):
>>>  - The OSS code in FreeBSD was at some point in time the 4Front OSS code.
>>>  - At some point 4Front closed-source their implementation and FreeBSD
>>> deviated.
>>>  - At some point Ariff put in an effort to advance the OSS code in
>>> FreeBSD
>>> which made it the best in various aspects (one of them latency) when
>>> compared to 4Front code, Windows, MacOS and Linux ALSA.
>>>  - Then in 2006 Ryan was adding OSSv4-API compatibility to the FreeBSD
>>> sound code as part of the Google Summer of Code, mentored by Ariff and
>>> me.
>>>  - Since then I don't remember big API changes/improvements... HPS worked
>>> a lot on USB audio support, userland drivers and AFAIK some MIDI stuff as
>>> part of the userland drivers, but all that is more or less drivers, not
>>> API... please correct me if I got this wrong; and mav(?) worked on HDA
>>> support (also driver, not API).
>>>
>>> I posted a link below as a reference and some reasons why those changes
>> were not a good idea.
>> The whole point of ossv4 was to implement simpler API and depreciate
>> legacy
>> audio application coding styles.

> [...]

These are some blog posts from mid to late 2000; Please read it and
understand what's he's trying to express; Then look at the audio programs
and see how they continue to make the same exact mistakes in 2017 going on
2018.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111001142728/http://4front-tech.com/hannublog/?page_id=34

Where are these audio app developers who should be chiming in? The few
applications that I've ported: audio/amsynth and audio/yoshimi
one has OSS support already, the other one I am developing.
Working on implementing the OSS support I am running into issues
Instead of listening u guys keep repeating FreeBSD audio is Great....

There is misunderstanding.
Where are the devs porting audio programs, writing new ones or bringing
online new devices? Why can't they speak up?

Or will you guys just sit back and watch FreeBSD absorb Linuxism until it's
just a bastardization of Linux?