FreeBSD amd64 GENERIC kernel

blubee blubeeme gurenchan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 14:52:54 UTC 2017

What sources do kernel modules pull in?

I'm looking at the generic kernel config for am64:

# Sound support
device sound # Generic sound driver (required)
device snd_cmi # CMedia CMI8338/CMI8738
device snd_csa # Crystal Semiconductor CS461x/428x
device snd_emu10kx # Creative SoundBlaster Live! and Audigy
device snd_es137x # Ensoniq AudioPCI ES137x
device snd_hda # Intel High Definition Audio
device snd_ich # Intel, NVidia and other ICH AC'97 Audio
device snd_via8233 # VIA VT8233x Audio

The device "sound" is required, does that mean if I totally uncomment out
all the device including sound, then the machine won't boot?

Does required mean a breaking kernel or just no sound?