Jack-less audio

blubee blubeeme gurenchan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 06:53:48 UTC 2017

I am trying to port/ update synths and audio tools to use the native OSS
instead of relying on Jack and it's associated tools.

I recently ported audio/amsynth to FreeBSD and that supports midi keyboards
w/o needing to deal with jack.

The OSS output still seems a bit iffy, audio from alsa has a lot of static
in it, the alsa-mmap output is clear as expected but selecting OSS audio
output doesn't work at all. I have to work on that and try to get the fix
upstream.

If I can get rid of qjackctl then I can use OSS to route audio from program
to program w/o the need that tool.

I am currently working on audio/amsynth and audio/yoshimi but other audio
synths can be updated as well.

Anyone in here makes music on FreeBSD who would be interested in this
project?