FreeBSD Port: multimedia/ffmpeg

Robert_Burmeister robert.burmeister at utoledo.edu
Fri Sep 23 09:04:34 UTC 2016

I am using an Intel Core2 Duo 8400 with CPUTYPE?=core2 and a Nvidia 210
graphics card for OpenGL.
Toggling SSE off and recompiling FFMPEG resolves the crash,
while still using additional flags: MMX, OPENGL, OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS, VAAPI &
VDPAU.

I have been toggling compile options for several years trying to get
FFMPEG2+ to work;
I did not think to try toggling SSE as this instruction set has been around
since the original Pentium
and Athlon processors, and I assumed that it was well understood and
universally supported.

Until today, I was unaware of the degree of volatility and discussion of CPU
typing
that has been going on in LLVM development.

A note mentioning SSE bugs in older processors in UPDATING would be helpful,
as would documenting the FFMPEG configuration option something like
"SSE=on: Use SSE optimized routines (Set to off for core2 and previous
CPUs)"