FreeBSD Jack'd Up MIDI

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Sun Nov 6 08:05:39 UTC 2016

On 06/11/2016 09:06, Matt Olander wrote:
> ----- On Nov 5, 2016, at 1:33 PM, Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
> wrote:
>
>> Neither Jack nor alsa-lib have a MIDI driver for FreeBSD.
>>
>> ALSA's "RawMIDI" interface is essentially the same as the OSS MIDI
>> interface, but so far nobody has bothered to write the driver.
>
> Thanks, Clemens! Derp, that may have been just the clue I needed.
> Once I installed a known working FreeBSD midi program that picked up
> /dev/umidi, jackd output changed to: new client: midipp, uuid =
> 8589934597 type 2 @ 0x800813000 fd = 21
>
> So...close...

I have an Alesis QX49 USB MIDI keyboard, jack midi is the only thing I
can get to work with USB MIDI.

I use audio/qjackctl to make the connections.

I use audio/jack_umidi to start a jack midi client so the keyboard
shows in the available jack ports -
jack_umidi -C /dev/umidi0.0 -B

and I have a patch for lmms that adds jack midi support
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/pull/2038

audio/hydrogen works with jack midi.

audio/zynaddsubfx can be built with jack support - start it with
zynaddsubfx -I jack

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler