Hauppague card with free (or pc) bsd

Brad Alexander storm16 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 17:51:59 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm new to the list and new to BSD, having come over from Linux. I just
converted my wife's machine over to pcbsd, which is a spork of freebsd. Her
machine has a Hauppague card plugged into the cable box, so I have the
system loading the bktr driver. According to dmesg:

bktr_mem: memory holder loaded
bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xeb000000-0xeb000fff irq 19 at device 1.0 on
pci5
bktr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
bktr0: Hauppauge Model 44801 D110
bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips NTSC tuner.

What app do I set her up with to watch live TV? Is there a HOWTO on doing
this? On Linux, I was using tvtime, but that was a little long in the
tooth, the last update was in 2005, plus the FAQ states:
7. Does tvtime support FreeBSD or NetBSD?

Currently, tvtime will not work on BSD-based systems, but the code to get
it to work should not be too difficult.

There is a driver for bt848 and bt878-based cards under BSD called
*bsdbt848*. The API for this driver is different from Linux's video4linux
that tvtime was written for, so the first job would be to do the input code
in tvtime to handle this driver. See mplayer <http://mplayerhq.hu> for one
example of some code that uses this driver.

The only other Linux-specific feature that we use would be the /dev/rtc
code to do high performance timing (I assume there is a BSD equivalent of
this).

So I was planning on using Kodi and TVHeadend, but did not see TVHeadend in
the repos. So what is the best way to set this up and what end app can i
use to get TV in a windowed session on her desktop?

Thanks,

--b