firefox-43 && no sound on MP3, MP4, HTML5

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Sat Apr 30 00:29:12 UTC 2016

On 29/04/2016 14:59, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Friday, April 29, 2016 a las 12:47:14PM +0930, Shane Ambler escribió:
>
>> On 29/04/2016 04:13, Matthias Apitz wrote:
>>
>>> for what is the option PULSEAUDIO on/off exactly and why it is set to
>>> 'on' as default(?); note: I compile with poudriere and one has limit or
>>> no influence over the question if some port is working on the target host later;
>>>

>> When building your own pkg's you may want to look through the poudriere
>> man page. You can setup a make.conf that is used by poudriere when
>> building pkg's. In the make.conf you can control options with lines like -
>
> You can imagine that someone who has setup his own poudriere oven to
> build ~2000 packages has studied the man pages and other useful
> information.

You should also believe that many people don't read any of the man
pages, after seeing a web page with a couple of commands to get started
they then only remember one command to build new pkg's and ignore all
the other options that may be available.

As you said "one has limit or no influence over the question" I assumed
you had no knowledge of controlling port options in poudriere. That
assumption shows in my wording.

>> OPTIONS_UNSET= PULSEAUDIO
>> www_firefox_UNSET= PULSEAUDIO
>> www_firefox_FORCE_UNSET= PULSEAUDIO
>>
>> See /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.options.mk for info on controlling port options
>> in make.conf
>
> The question was not how to set these options, but why PULSEAUDIO
> defaulted to ON. The statement was, that you have no control in poudriere
> if a provider pkg (like audio/pulseaudio) is later working on the
> target host after installation.

While the issue is about having an option on that should be off, we can
wait for that to be changed properly, until then you have the choice of
controlling the options your pkg's are built with. After firefox is
updated you can remove the options to disable pulseaudio.

My suggestion is only about providing a solution that works now until a
better update is available.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler