Understanding recording

Matthieu Volat mazhe at alkumuna.eu
Sun Dec 20 15:32:13 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm trying to get VOIP working on my FreeBSD 10.2 setup and I'm having trouble with capturing/recording, and it would be nice if somebody could give me advice on the matter:

I have a old but trusty Creative SB Live! sound card :

  emu10kx0 at pci0:10:1:0:	class=0x040100 card=0x80401102 chip=0x00021102 rev=0x07 hdr=0x00
      vendor     = 'Creative Labs'
      device     = 'SB Live! EMU10k1'
      class      = multimedia
      subclass   = audio

With the following devices:
  devices: vol, pcm, speaker, line, mic, cd, rec, igain, ogain, line1, line2,  line3, dig1, dig2, dig3, phin, phout, video

  rec devices: vol, line, mic, cd, line1, line2, line3, dig1, dig2,
dig3, phin, phout, video

I set the recording device to "mic"

  mixer \=rec mic

But when I put the "mic" mixer level to >0, I'll get the microphone feedback on the output, and nothing when I try to record with commands like :

  gst-launch-1.0 osssrc ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc ! oggmux ! filesink
location=dump.ogg

Is this problem tied to the hardware/driver? Is this bad configuration?

Thanks in advance,

--
Matthieu Volat <mazhe at alkumuna.eu>