OSS mains HUM filtering 50Hz / 60Hz ?

Hans Petter Selasky hps at selasky.org
Tue May 13 18:30:32 UTC 2014

Hi,

Some of my USB audio headsets seems to be picking up mains HUM even if
powered from battery. At first I thought the mains HUM came from the
computer, but then I did some work and I verified my findings by
sampling the AC network using a non-switching power supply. Maybe it
does not belong in the FreeBSD audio stack, but I think it would be very
clever to have a configurable band-reject filter in the FreeBSD DSP
framework for 50 and 60Hz? Do we have such a filter mechanism already?

Not sure if this is a so-called "feature" or not ... :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_hum

http://www.selasky.org/hans_petter/hum.png

--HPS