gstreamer1-libav, vimeo (h.264) and firefox 28

Tijl Coosemans tijl at coosemans.org
Sat Mar 22 14:03:47 UTC 2014

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 05:15:09 -0700 (PDT) Jakub Lach wrote:
> Ah, right. Stupid mistake with encoder, that explains a lot.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Saying that, none of the plugins under core are relevant to
> vimeo. I need a h.264 decoder, which previously was provided
> by ffmpeg. Rest of the bunch (theora, webm, ogg) are somehow
> already handled by firefox 28 (playback works).
>
> I've added mad to have a playback on bandcamp & soundcloud (works).
>
> $ pkg info | grep gstreamer1
> gstreamer1-1.2.3               Media applications framework
> gstreamer1-libav-1.2.2         GStreamer plug-in for manipulating MPEG video
> streams
> gstreamer1-plugins-1.2.3       GStreamer written collection of plugins
> handling several media types
> gstreamer1-plugins-good-1.2.3  Good gstreamer-plugins
> gstreamer1-plugins-mad-1.2.3   Gstreamer mp3 decoder plugin
> gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-1.2.3  Ugly gstreamer-plugins

libav will decode h264 but decoding the video data is only one element
in getting the video onto your screen.  The core plugins package is a
good place to start, but maybe all you need is gstreamer1-plugins-bad.

I'm not familiar with Vimeo and it seems to want to use Flash here
but the test video on this page works:
http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html