FFmpeg and x264 circular dependency

Andrew Berg aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu
Wed Mar 5 10:42:40 UTC 2014

On 2014.03.05 04:24, Tom Evans wrote:
> No, not really. If the user chooses options in libx264 that require
> ffmpeg, then the port will download and build ffmpeg as part of the
> libx264 port, providing the libraries that libx264 needs, but not
> installing these as ffmpeg.
I'm completely lost here; it's the x264 CLI utility that loads the libav libraries, not libx264.

> The other option is just to disable the GPAC option of x264 - if you
> need mp4 output, use ffmpeg. The whole thing is kind of hacky anyway,
> the common way to use a library with ffmpeg is to build ffmpeg and
> enable support for the library, not build the library and link ffmpeg
> to it.
This is not for GPAC support (which works just fine without ffmpeg anyway). This is for demuxing and decoding input video using lavf and
lavc (instead of requiring raw video as input).

> Actually, probably the "correct" way forward for this is to split the
> port in to two, "libx264" providing the library, which would not
> depend on ffmpeg, and "x264" providing the binary, which would depend
> on "libx264" and optionally "ffmpeg".
That was my option 3, and I'm not opposed to it. AFAICT, we should do both options 2 and 3 so that neither the ffmpeg CLI utility nor the
x264 CLI utility would be required by other applications in ports.